Are you unhappy with the colour of your teeth? Do they look dull, stained or yellow? Professional teeth whitening in NZ can remove stubborn dental stains and improve the whiteness and brightness of a person's teeth. Your teeth whitening dentist in Dunedin can provide you with a whitening session or teeth whitening kit to attain the bright smile you've always wanted.
Professional teeth whitening is customized to match your unique smile and meet your specific needs, goals and comfort level. Store-bought teeth whitening kits are usually a one-size-fits-all option that provides ineffective results for many consumers.
Why Do Our Teeth Collect Stains?
Our teeth can stain for various reasons, and the types of stains we can have are called extrinsic stains and intrinsic stains. Extrinsic stains occur on the surface of the teeth, while intrinsic stains occur from within the tooth. Dental stains can be yellow, brown, black, grey and white.
Common reasons for dental stains and discolouration are:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Food and beverages (e.g., coffee, tea, pomegranates, red wine)
- Injury or trauma
- Environmental factors (e.g., excessive fluoride)
- Smoking and tobacco use
- Certain medications
- Health conditions (e.g., chronic dry mouth)
- Tooth decay
- Crowns or fillings that contain metal
In-House Professional Teeth Whitening
We offer professional-grade whitening products at our dental practice. Before applying the bleaching gel to a patient's teeth, we also protect the lips and gums using protective gel or rubber sheaths. Your dentist then carefully applies the bleaching gel to the enamel. The gel penetrates the enamel to remove stain-causing molecules and is gentle on sensitive teeth.
During the whitening session, the dentist carefully paints or spreads the bleaching gel on the surfaces of the patient's teeth to ensure an even, thorough outcome. The gel contains a bleaching agent and a substantial amount of fluoride to strengthen the treated teeth. The bleach works quickly to break down stains on the teeth as we shine a powerful light on them to speed up the processing. The chairside teeth whitening process takes about 45 minutes to one hour. As with any treatment, our team will ensure your smile looks natural, feels comfortable and meets your expectations.
At-Home Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional take-home teeth whitening kits are ideal for anyone who wants a whiter smile without leaving the comfort of their home. These kits include professional-grade whitening gel and custom-made trays your dentist creates for you at our clinic. Unlike store-bought whitening kits, our custom kits are designed with your unique smile's shape and comfort in mind. The whitening trays fit snugly over the teeth without slipping or shifting in the mouth, reducing the risk of chemical burns on soft tissues and incomplete whitening results.
How to Prevent Dental Stains After Your Professional Whitening Treatment
Even after professional teeth whitening, our teeth can't maintain their bright whiteness forever. However, you can prolong your results by doing the following:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day, especially after drinking beverages or enjoying meals. This helps remove food particles and plaque from your teeth, leading to stains.
- Rinse your mouth with water after meals to dislodge food particles and stain-causing debris from your teeth.
- Avoid consuming pigmented foods and drinks, such as red wine, coffee, tea, tomato sauce, and pomegranates. These and more can darken your teeth and make your smile look dull and lacklustre.
- Avoid smoking and using tobacco products. Tobacco stains the teeth and can leave your smile looking yellow, brown and aged. If you need help quitting smoking or tobacco use, please speak with one of our friendly team members today for resources and assistance.
- Visit your dentist for routine dental exams and cleanings. Regular visits to your dentist all our team to check for any signs of decay or disease, and we can professionally clean your teeth and remove plaque and tartar from your smile.
Our Cosmetic Dentist in Dunedin Welcomes Your Call!
Dr Elaine Neill at Bell Hill Dental in Dunedin, Otago, is a skilled and experienced cosmetic dentist who can help your dream smile become a beautiful reality. We offer various dental services to improve or enhance the function, comfort and aesthetics of a patient's smile.
Whatever your needs may be, we are here to help you attain your optimal oral health and your best smile. If your teeth look dark, dull or yellow, we invite you to contact us today for a cosmetic dental consultation. Dr Neill can help you find the best solution for your oral health needs and goals, and we can determine if professional teeth whitening is right for you.
Bell Hill Dental serves patients and families in the surrounding communities, including North and South Dunedin, St Claire, Pukehiki, Kinmont Park, North and East Taieri, Mosgiel and beyond. We invite patients to contact us via phone on 03-477 8387 or online.
Our friendly team looks forward to meeting you!